Are you in need of a master bedroom makeover? Check out my top tips for designing your bedroom on a budget!
Including how to hang window treatments at the correct height, why you absolutely NEED a headboard, budget ideas for large scale modern artwork and so much more!
Window Treatments Do’s and Don’ts
- Do you hang your drapery at ceiling height- makes room feel larger and draws your eye up. Measure from floor to ceiling minus drapery rod and you’ll know what panel size to purchase. Do you have drapery touching the floor for that high-end designer look.
- Don’t hang your drapery right above your window or you’ll miss the opportunity to make your room appear taller and larger.
- Do you install blackout drapery for a complete darkness so morning light doesn’t interrupt your sleep
- Don’t neglect layers of window treatments. I typically install sheers and black-outs so you get a variety of privacy and lighting at all times of the day. My courtyard is private but especially when you don’t want neighbors to be peering in.
Furniture Do’s and Don’ts
- Do source secondhand shops, thrift stores, Craigslist, or eBay for decor items. About 80% of my home is gently used furniture. Sometimes all it needs is a fresh coat of paint or light clean.
- The furniture is often beautifully preserved and you can furnish our entire house for a fraction of what it cost brand new. Plus it’s one of a kind which reflects your unique style.
- Don’t buy cheap furniture from China at any ol’ discount furniture stores. Invest in high-quality pieces with clean lines to maximize their lifespan or shop vintage/antique. Even IKEA has better options that you can embellish and hack to personalize and make it your own. Until you define your style it is smart to keep costs low and spent on what you love and cherish for years to come.
- Do custom-make your own headboard. This vintage Regency style frame I picked up from Craigslist cost me $300. My upholsterer tufted the inset with old fabric that reused for another 300. I saw the same set on 1st Dibs for over $3000. Cha-Ching!!!
- Don’t neglect the headboard. It is the first most important piece to your master bedroom, so source something that makes a statement, comfortable to lean/sleep on, and suits your personality and style.
Nightstand Styling Do’s and Don’ts
- Do install table lamps or reading lights next to your bedside on matching nightstands. Functional for reading and the symmetry makes the space look very high-end and designer.
- Don’t just throw any old lamp on there that doesn’t match. It’s the quickest way to cheapen the vibe of the space
- Do style nightstands with products that you use daily. Candles, books, fresh flowers, or whatever helps you sleep and wake up feeling inspired every day
- Don’t throw all your dailies on your nightstand. Lotions, vitamins, lip balm, etc. That’s what drawers are for to keep cluttered items hidden away.
Wall Art and Paint Color Do’s and Don’ts
- Do you paint walls like dark color. Design myth: makes room smaller, but the opposite is true makes walls recede and actually looks larger than it is
- Don’t paint one wall an accent wall. It’s a dated look that typically cheapens the vibe. Unless you’re an expert and choosing a fabulous wallpaper/texture then accent away.
- Do enlarge personal photography as statement artwork. It’s inexpensive.
- Don’t neglect the power of artwork in a small space. It’s a modern way to add more personality and give it the vibe you’re after.
Storage Do’s and Don’ts
- Do you have additional storage with an armoire for blankets and towels if you lack built-ins for cabinetry
- Don’t just buy an open shelves and stuff all your towels and blankets in it. Invest in a cabinetry with doors to hide the clutter
- Do use a dresser for sleepwear, intimates, and folded clothes that doubles as a TV console. The visual weight of it carries the heavy focus on the TV and creates a focal point that is not all about the TV.
- Don’t have matching dressers and nightstands. It’s an opportunity for you to showcase a variety of different pieces to show more personality.
- Do you do your research from your favorite e-tailers, design magazines, and books so you know what’s out there and the looks you van DIY and mimic yourself
- What color to paint your walls- light and bright to keep you up and energize. Dark and moody to illicit a fabulous night’s sleep. It’s important to understand the way you live and aspire to live, so decorate according to your purpose. Function FIRST and aesthetics and style SECOND. Form follows function
Remember that design and decorating is not just about beautifying a space just for the sake of mimicking your favorite magazine, favorite furniture store, or designer catalog. It’s all about surrounding yourself with items that mean something to you, things you’re inspired by, or things that remind you of a special time and place in your life. Interior sign is all about telling your story: who you are, where you’ve been, and where you hope to go. Design with purpose and wake up feeling inspired to live your best life every single day.
How many “Do’s” did you hit from this video and how many “Don’ts” from my tips?
Comment below and I’ll see where I can help!
If you found this video helpful, please comment, like and SUBSCRIBE.